The "Flipper" Frost Protection System
A 'flipping' efficient method of frost protection
Our 'Flipper' sprinkler system uses water effectively, which is beneficial to both you and the environment. Combined with our 'Drip Irrigation System', you can protect your vines from extreme weather changes in the UK, such as sudden drops in temperature and droughts.
Frost protection is particularly important during the growing season, especially in spring where the opening buds, young shoots, and all green parts of the grapevine can be damaged by frost.
When the water from the flipper is sprayed along the rows of vines at the correct dew point, it freezes around the green tissues and releases heat which provides the vines with an extra layer of protection to fight off the sudden chill.
There is typically a 2-3 meter gap between rows, creating a fruit wall configuration. The Flipper allows you to operate in strips, so only where the water is needed, saving water while offering the same high level of protection.
The most economical frost protection for vineyards
- Spreads water in a very long and narrow strip, targeting the vine rows only
- Saves up to 70% of water compared to conventional overhead systems
- Large droplets minimize the cooling effect when starting the system
- Safe operation under frost conditions
- Optional flow regulator for hilly terrain or long rows
- Low installation and pumping costs
- Dry pathways reduce waterlogging and facilitate access for workers and equipment soon after operation